Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 90! My P90X journey is complete

Today marks Day 90 of my 90-day journey with P90X.  I made it!  90 days of workouts and clean eating.  90 Days without sugar, chocolate or Diet Coke.  It was a tough road but I'm glad I stuck with it.  I feel stronger, more toned and in great shape.  I don't want to lose this feeling, either.  In fact, I've decided that after a few days off this weekend, I'm going to start Insanity next week.  It's more cardio than P90X but I think it will be the right mix for my next challenge.
So what are my results?  While I definitely don't look like the people in the pictures above, I have considerably more muscle tone than I ever have before, especially in my abs.  I won't be taking official after pictures/measurements until Saturday morning after I finish out this week's worth of workouts and a Shakeology cleanse that I'm currently doing.  But as of my 60 day mark, I lost 4 inches on my waist (definitely where I needed it most) and lost about 5 lbs.  I think I likely lost a lot more weight in terms of fat than that but I added so much muscle (which weighs more than fat, of course) that the overall numbers didn't move that much.  Fine with me.  My clothes fit much better and I finally have the energy to chase the kids and the strength to pick the little buggers up without worrying about throwing out my back.  I also feel good about setting a good example for my kids, who now know whenever I put in a DVD and put on my sports bra: "Mommy exercise".  Here's a picture of Reese "flexing" with me around 60 days in.
P90X2 actually comes out sometime this fall and I think I will be trying it after Insanity.  I really do like the program.  For those of you not familiar with it, it's a great mix of weights, cardio, yoga, karate and stretching.  It's definitely a challenging regimen, especially the eating part.  The workouts are tough, but to eat completely clean (no processed foods) for 90 days is hard.  It makes a huge difference, though, in your overall results and, even more importantly, how you feel.  I'm glad I did it and would definitely recommend it to anyone.