Friday, June 18, 2010

Reese's room

Tonight is the first night of Operation get-Reese-to-sleep-in-her-own-room. For awhile now, she has successfully been sleeping in her toddler bed in our room and, for the most part, sleeps there all night. Moving her to her own room is actually happening because we'd like to get Asher sleeping through the night (or at least more than now) and we can't really let him "cry it out" in the same room as Reese or we'll end up with two crying children and, consequently, two crying parents :) So one of them has to go and it makes most sense for it to be Reese.

We know what to do. Consistency of routine. Bath. Brush teeth. Read book. Night night. Suffer through a few nights but push on until she's used to her new surroundings. Yeah, we know what we need to do but we are also dreading doing it. I actually wanted to start last night but my flight was delayed and I didn't get home until after midnight so it wasn't a good night to start. So tonight's the night. I'm putting it on here because that will hold us to it. Hoping if we start tonight we'll have 4 nights in a room of both of us home to "help" so that by the time I leave next Tuesday we have made enough progress that CK won't want to give up when he has to tackle it on his own.

Sad part is as soon as we get her through this then we get to tackle Asher and getting him to sleep more. But, as painful as it might be for a few weeks (please not months!) we know it's worth it in the end to have two kids on good routines getting lots of valuable sleep (and the added benefit of getting more sleep ourselves).

While CK was busy getting the walls ready to pour concrete I was in Chicago this week checking up on a former client and teaching some of our new hires about what I do. It was a nice break from my regular project routine although it really felt more like double the work since my project didn't stop while I was gone, I was just doing it from afar.