Friday, September 25, 2009

Bad drivers

Unfortunately I was in a minor car accident yesterday morning. Not really the way you want to start your day, that's for sure but everyone is fine. I was driving with two coworkers in the car on a 4-lane road (2 lanes on either side). We were heading to work (I was in the leftmost lane) when a Toyota Tundra decided to cross both lanes (from a parking lot or street on the right) to head in the opposite direction we were traveling. Of course, he claims he didn't see us coming because there was a school bus in the rightmost lane and apparently it blocked his view. Of course, logical me says if there's a school bus in your line of sight maybe you should wait until it passes and you can see BOTH lanes before you decide to cross them? Hmmm... Anyway he went for it and ended up stopping directly in front of me perpendicular to my car. All I could do was slam on the breaks and hope for the best. Luckily we were going fairly slow and my breaks were able to slow us down enough that we probably hit him at less than 15mph. The airbags didn't even go off (which is good because given my belly size they probably would have done more damage than anything else). My car had minor damage but we hit him in the left front tire and his axel was pretty bent. He immediately got out and apologized but I'm still not sure how he didn't see us or why he stopped in the middle of the road. Oh well. After filing a police report, dealing with the rental car company and insurance, etc. we made it to work and then to the airport to head home for the weekend. No one was hurt which is the important thing and the baby, of course, had its own little "airbag" so I don't think he/she even woke up :) The worst of the aftermath was captured below. This is my coworker Sajani's breakfast, which she was holding as we were driving and which ended up all over her and the car. Luckily the rest of the day and the airplane ride home yesterday was uneventful :) I'm back in Show Low now. We celebrated CK's birthday last night. And we FINALLY got a new camera so I promise to post new pictures of the cabin and, of course, of Reese this weekend.